On October 14, CADCA.org Policy & Advocacy issue reported on Support H.R. 6241, The Sober Truth on Preventing (STOP) Underage Drinking Act Reauthorization.
In December of 2006, a bi-partisan, bi-cameral effort to combat underage drinking culminated with the passage of the Sober Truth on Preventing (STOP) Underage Drinking Act.
STOP ACT REAUTHORIZATION
Representatives Roybal-Allard (D-34th/CA), DeLauro (D-3rd/CT), Wamp (R-3rd/TN) and Wolf (R-10th/VA) have come together again to introduce H.R. 6241 to ensure that this landmark piece of legislation is formally reauthorized. The STOP Act reauthorization will build upon the success of the original Act by continuing all the authorities in the bill until FY 2015. It:
- Authorizes an additional $4 million, for a total of $9 million for the Community Based Coalition Enhancement grants to current and past Drug Free Community grantees;
- Doubles the original investment in a multi-media campaign to educate parents and communities about the dangers of underage drinking to $2 million;
- Calls for an Institute of Medicine report on the literature regarding the influence of drinking alcohol on the development of the adolescent brain;
- Establishes grants to train pediatric health care providers in how best to screen and treat children and teens who have had alcohol exposures; and
- Maintains funding for ciritical underage drinking research.
Click here for full article.